Poopsheet Foundation

[ lets talk mini-comics ]

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

PUMP by Pete Hodapp
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
When posting reviews please include a cover scan and website links whenever possible!
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: PUMP by Pete Hodapp
Justin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
PUMP by Pete Hodapp 3 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 68

www.yawningvoid.blogspot.com
This is a literal flip book, in two different ways. Not only do you flip it over to enjoy two distinct “chapters” of the story, but you actually physically flip through the pages to create your own stop motion viewing experience. It reminds me of the first rudimentary DIY sequential comics we made as kids, by drawing a ball in various locations on sheets of paper, then stapling the pages together, flipping through, and watching the ball bounce around. This book features an oil derrick pumping dutifully along, the kind that dot the barren landscape in places like Bakersfield, California, until it suddenly freezes in crisis. Ultimately, the second half of the book shows us that the leftover artifact has some societal use. It reminded me of those guys who make contemporary art installations out in the desert using rows of old station wagons sticking up out of the ground. Pump is not just a crafty construction gimmick, but an intense piece of commentary about the consumer culture and changing tides of taste. It’s an impressive little project. Perhaps $4 is a little steep for an experience lasting under 30 seconds, but there is no denying the craft involved, the purity of the message, or the simple effective charm. The gas gauge stamp adorning the book also cleverly underscores the message of the book and is a nice design element. Pete Hodapp is suddenly an award-winning dynamo of creativity that has burst onto the scene. I’m anxiously awaiting whatever is next! Grade A-.

Last Edit: 2010/11/22 16:37 By Justin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Justin Giampaoli
Go to topPage: 1

Latest Activity

Community Statistics

Statistics
Total Members : 231
Total Photos : 2350
Total Activities : 5936
Total Wall Posts : 610

Partner Sites

Midnight Fiction .com

Justin Giampaoli's 13 Minutes